What is the Indiana Accredited Horticulturist Program?
The Indiana Nursery and Landscape Association have developed the Indiana Accredited Horticulturist Program to provide a method of self study and accreditation for individuals in the nursery industry. The goal of this certification and accreditation program is to develop knowledgeable, motivated, professional employees for the landscape nursery industry.
The program is implemented by purchasing a study CD ROM from the Indiana Nursery and Landscape Association and successfully compelting an examination. The study CD ROM consits of basic information on plant growth and development, plant maintenance and pest control. Additional information covering turf establishment and maintenance, landscape plans and specifications, and soil characteristics has been included. Fourteen chapters are included on the IAH CD ROM, all having been authored by college professors from Purdue and other universities. The latest addition, Chapter 14, is titled "The Garden Center Employee."
After studying the CD ROM, which is registered in his or her name, the individual will be eligible to take the examination to determine the level of mastery of the study of materials. A certificate and Indiana Accredited Horticulturist logo patch will be presented to hose individuals who achieve a grade of 80% or more. An individual who passes the exam is recognized in the Indiana Nursery and Landscape Yearbook and the INDIANA NURSERY and LANDSCAPE NEWS as an Indiana Accredited Horticulturist.
An Indiana Master Horticulturist program has been developed to recognize the Accredited Horticulturist who wants to continue his or her professional development in the industry. This program involves the further study of the IAH CD ROM and passing an essay exam with a grade of 90%.
There are over 700 Indiana Accredited Horticulturists and over 125 Master Horticulturists. The success of the program and the upgrading of the personnel in the nursery industry are direct results of the emphasis the Indiana Nursery and Landscape Association have placed on education programs. You are encouraged to take advantage of this valued educational service of your association.
Indiana Accredited Horticulturists
Once you have become certified, it is your responsibility to maintain your certification and keep it current through continuing education. The INLA will update our "Active Status" list below periodically throughout the year.
Active Status click here to review their recertification date and current CEU status.
In-Active Status – you will not be included on the list above. This means your certification has expired. Please contact the INLA office at 800.443.7336 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Recertification – your recertification date is included on your most recent certificate.
- If you are due to recertify, you must complete the IAH CEU Recertification form CLICK HERE
- Mail the completed form with your payment of $25 (member) or $45 (non-member) to the INLA office by your recertification date. This MUST included seven (7) hours of continuing education over a two year period.
- If your certification has lapsed for less than two (2) years, you will not need to retest but must have seven (7) hours of continuing education within the lsat two (2) years.
- If you have attended INLA educational programs, we will have your information; however, you must list it on the CEU tracking / recertification form and include your recertification fee.
- If you wish to attend non-INLA educational programming we require a Continuing Education Course Approval Application (click here) to be submitted at least 14 days prior to the program, proff of attendance/registration (see list of examples below).
- If your certification has lapsed for two (2) + years, you must retest. A retest fee of $50 will apply.
- If you have not received the new IAH CD ROM, this will be provided to you at no additional charge when you recertify. It will also be provided to all individuals yet to test. We are now utilizing Version 2 which includes chapter 14, The Garden Center Employee and the new Glossary. The exam covering this new material will be effective January 2011.
- After you recertify you will receive a new / current certificate, logo patch and logo sheet to use for marketing purposes along with the latest CD if not previously provided.
PLEASE KEEP YOUR CERTIFICATE AND ALL EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS YOU ATTEND IN A FILE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.